Under the Auspices of
H.E. Mahmoud Abbas
President of the State Palestine
Al-Quds University, Al-Quds Open University, and Hebron Governorate is pleased to announce the Second Joint Global Conference
Tourism & Development: Reality & Challenges
CALL FOR PAPERS
April 22 - 24, 2018
At Hebron Governorate Headquarters, Palestine
The Importance of the Conference
Tourism is considered one of the main factors that influence the development process of a nation. Its importance is constantly increasing in number of aspects, most prominently the economic, social, cultural and political aspects. This increase in interest in both tourism and its institutions by countries around the world is due to the deep awareness of its vital role on the individual, institution, and state levels. Thus tourism plays a prominent and a crucial role in supporting the survival and sustainability of various institutions. In turn, these institutions can provide the population with a satisfactory standard in the quality of life, and contributes to the building of a sustainable national economy.
The increased importance of tourism is enlarged in its strategic and development role of countries that are especially characterized by their distinguished civilization, religious and cultural heritage, historical monuments and attractive nature as in the case of Palestine. Thus, in light of the Palestinian case, the specificity of the Hebron governorate -being the largest governorate in Palestine, and the difficult situation of the old city- the Palestinians place great hopes on tourism. They aspire that tourism will make additional qualitative contributions in aiding the preservation of the national identity and the Palestinian heritage, strengthening the steadfastness and resilience of the citizens in both their homes and workplaces, reviving the life in the besieged old city and finally promoting the distinguished crafts sector in the “Craft City” as labeled by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
In response to what is mentioned above, this conference sheds light on the challenges facing the tourism and its development within the unjust treatment of the Israeli occupation towards the Hebron governorate, its old city, its religious heritage, its nature and culture. In addition, this conference comes in a time where Hebron was listed as a “World Craft City” for the year 2016 by the World Graft Council. Meanwhile, the Old City and the Ibrahimi Mosque –located n the city of Hebron- were both listed in the World Heritage List that is affiliated with the UNESCO for the year 2017. This reality requires concerting the efforts of various official, public, private, academic and community institutions to protect these achievements and defend them by all legitimate means. This conference demonstrates the real partnership between academic institutions (Al-Quds and Al-Quds Open University) and the institutions of administrative governance (governorate). This partnership is an actual and a real translation for some of the efforts dedicated towards the protection and development of these unique tourist sites. This conference is keen to attract research papers that focus on the themes and areas related to tourism and its development, the proposal of solutions that addresses the challenges that faces tourism and the institutions that contribute to the tourism sector. These include institutions that manage or operate or are interested in this sector. This will contribute positively to the development process at the Palestinian national level and in particular at the Hebron governorate level.
The Objectives of the Conference
The aim of the conference is to emphasize the social responsibilities bestowed on higher education institutions towards the society. This is achieved through consolidating and creating fruitful relationships and partnerships among universities and research institutions, researchers, the tourism sector and development institutions. Thus the universities will provide the theoretical, field-work and applied research participations to meet the needs of the society. The conference will focus on achieving a number of objectives, most importantly are:
- Strengthening the partnership between the institutions of higher education, administrative governorates and institutions of the tourism sector. This partnership is to empower and exchange experiences and knowledge. Thus the institutions of higher education are the center of education, research, development and modernization that serves in the sustainable development.
- Maximizing the use of the diverse experiences of institutions and individuals in the development of tourism work to enhance its outputs and usefulness through a comprehensive presentation of the pioneering models of tourism leadership.
- Seeking to benefit from the expertise and scientific research to face the challenges that hinder tourism work.
- Spreading the culture of tourism and introducing its importance and value to maximize the efforts of various institutions in supporting this sector that serve the country.
- Enriching the Arabic library with innovative, well established, and important studies on tourism and its development.
The Themes of the Conference
The first theme: Tourism in the city of Hebron: Reality and challenges from a developmental perspective:
- Hebron as a crafts city: evaluation from a developmental perspective.
- Tourism investment in the city of Hebron between the key elements and the obstacles.
- The institutional role (official, private and community-based) in tourism development.
- Challenges (institutional and societal) facing tourism development in Hebron.
The second theme: The role of tourism in the economic and social development:
- The role of tourism in protecting the Palestinian cultural heritage.
- Economic contributions to tourism.
- The role of tourism in the economic and social life of the citizens of Hebron.
- Tourism as a means of preserving the Palestinian identity.
The third Theme: Proposals to promote the developmental role of tourism:
- The ideal relationship between tourism stakeholders from a developmental perspective.
- The role of legal frameworks and strategies in promoting tourism.
- Ecotourism and community tourism as catalysts for tourism development.
- Tourism Routes: Supporting initiatives for tourism development.
The fourth theme: the Israeli occupation practices in Hebron governorate and their effects on tourism development:
- The legal and organizational procedures of the occupation as a hindrance to tourism development.
- The Israeli occupation aggression on Palestinian tourism using economic tools.
- The arbitrary policies of the occupation as a weapon that restricts tourism development.
The fifth theme: pioneering tourism development examples:
- Examples of research on tourism development for Arab researchers.
- Women are leading examples in tourism.
- Palestinian tourism pioneering models (institutional, initiatives, individual).
The Preparatory Committee of the Conference:
- Dr. Omar El-Saliby/ Head of the Committee/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Abdel-Qader Darawesh / Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Alaa El-Shakhsher/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr Ziad Qannam/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Sameer Hazboun/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Rushdi El-Qwasmeh/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Shaher El-Aloul/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Thameen Hijawi/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Mohammad Abu El-Jebeen/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Ali Saleh/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Fadel Eideh/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Sabri Moshtaha/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Mr. Akram El-Shrouf/ Hebron Governorate/ Palestine
- Mr. Nidal El-Jabary/ Hebron Governorate/ Palestine
- Eng. Alaa Shahin /Hebron Municipality
- Ms. Neda’ Al Ayaseh/ The Ministry of Tourism & Antiquities (MOTA)
- Ms. Najah Abu Sara/ The Ministry of Tourism & Antiquities (MOTA)
- Mr. Jehad Yaseen/ The Ministry of Tourism & Antiquities (MOTA)
- Eng. Helmi Maraqa / Hebron Rehabilitation Committee
- Eng. Jalal Al-Rajbi / Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs
- Mr. Jehad Al Qawasmi / Palestinian Journalists’ Syndicate
- Mr. Ismaeil Al Shareef / Chamber of Commerce /Hebron
- Mr. Nader Tamimi/ Union of Souvenirs and Handicrafts Industry
Conference Secretariat: Ms. Hadeel Al E’wewi
The Scientific Committee of the Conference:
- Dr. Yousef Abu Fara/ Head of the Committee/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Prof. Refat Shannak / The University of Jordan/ Jordan
- Prof. Mahmoud El-Jafary/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Marwan Darwish/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Omar El-Sliby/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Prof. Majed Sbeih/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Sameer Abu Znead/ Hebron University/ Palestine
- Dr. Saed El-Kony/ An-Najah National University/ Palestine
- Dr. Ihab El-Kubaj/ Palestine Polytechnic University/ Palestine
- Dr. Ismaeel El-Romy/ Palestine Polytechnic University/ Palestine
- Fadi Qattan/ Bethlehem University/ Palestine
- Thamer El-Bakry/ Petra University/ Jordan
- Dr. Diana Abu Ghanamy/ University of Jordan/ Jordan
- Dr. Thafer Sheber/ AL-Mustansiriyah University/ Iraq
- Dr. Marwan Jaloud/ Palestine Polytechnic University/ Palestine
- Dr. Iyad El-Tamimi/ Petra University/ Jordan
- Prof. Theyab Jarar/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Suheil Sultan/ Birzeit University/ Palestine
- Dr. Jumanah El-Zuoby/ University of Jordan/ Jordan
- Dr. Ziad Qannam/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Jihad El-Ayasseh/ Birzeit University/ Palestine
- Prof. Fatahallah Ghanem/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Atyeh Musleh/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Dr. Samer El-Dahyat/ University of Jordan/ Jordan
- Dr. Shaher Obeid/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Prof. Kamal Ruzeiq/ Blida University/ Algeria
- Dr. Mohammad El-Jabary/ Hebron University/Palestine
- Dr. Islam Abed El-Jawad/ Najah National University/ Palestine
- Dr. Amal El-Hileh/ Palestine Polytechnic University/ Palestine
- Dr. Mosa El-Saleeby/ Hebron Governorate/ Palestine
- Dr. Salwa El-Barghouti/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Dr. Abed El-Fatah El-Shamleh/ An-Najah National University/ Palestine
- Dr. Najah Abu Sarah/ Ministry of Tourism/ Palestine
- Dr. Ahmad Herzallah / Al Quds University / Palestine
- Dr. Wael Hamamreh /Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities
- Dr. Shareef Abu Karsh/ Arab American University/Palestine
- D. Jalal Shabbat/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
Media and PR Committee:
- Abdel-Qader Darwish / Head of the Committee/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Ahmad Bahar/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Ramzi Asali/ Al-Quds University/ Palestine
- Sulafa Musallam/ Al-Quds Open University/ Palestine
- Safa Abu Sneneh/ Hebron District/ Palestine
Participants, Guests and Beneficiaries
Participants, guests and beneficiaries of the conference:
- Universities, colleges, institutes and research centers- local, Arab and international.
- Experts and specialists in tourism and development.
- The administrations of tourism institutions and tourism events (official, community-based and private)
- Businessmen and investors in the tourism sector in Palestine and abroad.
- Those interested in tourism affairs at academic and research institutions and official, community-based and private institutions.
Conditions and Remarks Regarding the Research
Conditions and remarks regarding the research contributions submitted to the conference:
- Research participation should be related to the themes of the conference.
- The research should be received (in full) no later than 15/1/2018.
- Researchers will be informed that their research is accepted no later than 30/2/2018.
- Researchers should follow the principles and rules of scientific research in the research presented to this conference.
- The research should not have been submitted to another conference, published previously, or accepted for publication or submitted for publication by any party.
- The research paper should include an abstract in Arabic and one in English.
- Research contributions can be accepted in the form of theoretical scientific articles that include new and innovative concepts (not traditional or repeated) in the sector of tourism and development.
- Use the APA style in the documentation, refer to the reference or source in the text after the quotation paragraph directly as follows: (author's last name, publication year, page number).
- The number of research pages should not exceed 30 pages printed in Word with 14 plain text lines and 14 bold lines for titles with 1.5 spacing and Simplified Arabic font.
- The curriculum vitae of the researcher should be attached with the research paper specifying the researcher's discipline, specific specialization, academic degree, academic rank, the university from which he/she graduated, and the university or institution in which he/she is currently working at.
- The conference book: the accepted refereed research papers will be published in a special book for the conference.
All Inquiries, participation and required documents should be sent to all the following addresses no later than 15th of Jan, 2018:
|Dr. Yousef Abu Fara
Head of the Scientific Committee
Dean of the Administrative and Economic Sciences
Al-Quds Open University
|Mr. Nasser Tahoub
Dean of Business and Economics
|Dr. Omar El-Saliby
Head of the Preparatory Committee
For more information about the conference please visit the following websites:
|Al-Quds Open University
Conference Participation Form