The University established the Major of Teaching Science as a result of studies which showed that teachers of various fields of science require development and update for their teaching methods. Thus, The University designed a comprehensive plan for the major that includes all the latest theories of teaching and their methodologies, along with focusing on matching theory with practice and conducting scientific research to ensure that prospective science teachers will be acquainted with all the necessary skills to advance education in Palestine and give their best performance in classes, especially in primary levels. What distinguishes the major is that students don’t need to obtain a teacher training diploma since they already have the necessary courses at the BA level to qualify them as teachers and as a supervisor of scientific labs.
The Department is also keen on equipping students with skills of efficient planning, assessment, follow up and implementation, as well as matching theory with practice.
Furthermore, The Department promotes applied research in its academic program to find solutions and recommendations for challenges of education in Palestine.
In order to obtain the B.A. in Teaching Science, students need to pass 123 credit hours divided as follows:
- 21 credit hours: University required courses.
- 18 credit hours: Faculty required courses.
- 78 credit hours: major courses.
- 6 credit hours: free elective courses.
The Department aims to:
- Provide Prospective teachers with complementary courses that include other fields of science and arts to broaden their intellect and motivate their growth in other domains.
- Provide courses that equip students with theories and methodologies of teaching and other fields of science that help with their teaching such as, Psychology in education, Assessment and Evaluation, Teaching Methodologies and Trainings, Technology in Education and many other required courses.
- Provide students with core courses that equip students with knowledge, concepts and theories of natural sciences.
- Acquaint students with the basic scientific processes, inquiry methods; research by means of lab testing, and other various activities.
- Conclude and verify data by utilizing experiments and models.
- Utilize and master acquired skills and knowledge in the field of science and mathematics.
- The transition from general to specific and vice versa.
- Explore how the various fields of science are integrated.
- Teaching at private and public sectors (especially primary levels).
- Teaching at non-governmental and governmental organizations.
- Teaching at institutes and pre-schools institutions.