The efforts of the administrative, academic and technical staff of QOU channel towards shaping the University as a pillar of education in the Palestinian society, and setting a framework for sustainable human development, self-reliance and independency. Following this philosophy, the University has been able to accumulate important achievements along the years since its establishment as follows:
- Academic Accomplishments.
- Information Technology Accomplishments.
- QOU Strategic Plan Accomplishments.
- Infrastructure Accomplishments.
- Establishment of the faculty of Graduate Studies that includes two majors, Arabic language and literature, and Psychological and Educational Counseling.
- Establishment of a Media Faculty and an Art Faculty that offer Bachelor degrees in various fields.
- Adoption of blended learning approach (open learning combined with e-learning) for all the offered courses.
- Upgrading the content of some courses to be in the form of electronic educational packages which is designed following the self-learning method.
- Adoption of Mobile Learning method (content can be taught and uploaded using smart devices (for some courses.
- Design of the first Arabic MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) in Palestine and the Arab World about the history of Jerusalem.
- Establishment of advanced labs for virtual libraries. The labs are equipped with computers, printers and smart screens according to the latest updates.
- Design of a comprehensive program for the management of QOU libraries.
- The establishment of the Palestinian Center of Excellence in E-Learning for research and consultations, supervised by a national committee that represents most academic sectors in Palestine.
- Contribution in preparing and issuing the first Guide of Quality Assurance and Accreditation Standards in the Arab World in the field of Open Learning, with the cooperation of The Association of Arab Universities.
- Development of a new BA program in Special Needs Education under the faculty of Social and Family Development.
- Accreditation of a new Diploma program in Teacher Training by AQAQ and the MOHE.
- Development of a new specialization in the field of Healthcare Management in several QOU branches.
- The continuous design and writing of new textbooks in various fields such as , Introduction to Public Health, Epidemiology, Income Tax Accounting, Financial Planning and Analysis, Computerized Applications in health Organizations and many more.
- Establishment of a database for examinations in cooperation with ICTC.
QOU Strategic Plan (2012-2015)
QOU Strategic Plan aims at achieving the following goals:
- To reach excellence and modernity through applying international standards of quality in all academic and administrative work at the university.
- To continue proposing new drafts, agendas, and initiatives to keep enhancing QOU leading role in the field of education, scientific research and community service.
- To improve the efficiency and competency of the staff at the University to achieve high quality outcomes.
- To strengthen the partnership with various sectors in the local community.
- To develop and promote the vision and mission of QOU.
- To identify future requirements, aims and strategies of the University, taking into account the recommendations of the external evaluation of the University.
- To form a committee that monitors and ensures commitment with QOU strategic plan regarding planning process, performance, and implementation.
- To provide technical support to all QOU departments and centers to facilitate implementation and follow up of their annual agenda.
- To prepare the following QOU strategic plan for the period of 2015-2018.
- Construction of new campuses across country to facilitate access to education for all Palestinian communities.
- Horizontal and vertical expansion of the University to encompass the increasing rate of the enrolled students, and create supportive environment for open learning.
- Intensive fundraising efforts are carried out throughout the campuses to elevate the educational network of premises, centers, and facilities.
- The University owns the biggest intranet and internet network which connects all branches, departments and centers of the Universality that are distributed over 28 Palestinian cities. This network and the supportive wireless network are the main tools for e-learning and serve administrative, academic staff and students. The network aims to stay up-to-date with the emerging technologies and to establish 108 computer, internet and multimedia labs. QOU was able to develop distinguished e-learning services and present an outstanding teaching experience among its peer academic institutions in Palestine through establishing three major Centers: MPC, ICTC and OLC.
- QOU provides a comprehensive e-learning environment, which supports the educational system in the University. The University’s academic portal links all the computerized systems to organize and manage the learning process. Through the Information & Communication Technology Center, the University computerized and developed its administrative, financial and academic systems using the latest international programs and technologies administered by a specialized team from the university.
- QOU participated effectively in introducing e-learning to the education process in Palestine in general and at QOU in particular through hosting Avicenna Project. Fifteen universities from the Mediterranean region participated in the project which aims at building a Mediterranean universities information society in order to exchange experiences, best practices and enhance e-learning system in the University and in other universities by submitting an application to the UNESCO ,through the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, to disseminate this project to all Palestinian universities. This pioneering work in the field of e-learning was culminated with establishing the Open Learning Center (OLC), which was closely associated with the development of e-learning services in cooperation with ICTC and working together to create an integrated environment that combines these services with the best educational foundations.
- QOU established a specialized Multimedia Production Center, which provides the latest tools to produce televised lectures and broadcast them live using Video Streaming or On Demand ; it also provides the QOU Web TV service. The live streaming is available on qouchannel.tv. to reach the largest number of audience. In addition to the educational multimedia, the Center produces programs and documentaries serving the local and Arab community and students, part of which is dedicated to educational, cognitive and cultural aspects.
- QOU was the only Palestinian University that was able to represent Palestine in Eumedconnect project through hosting Eumedconnect line operated by QOU staff. This project is considered one of the most important infrastructure projects in the foundations of communication in Palestine as it connects a big number of European universities and centers and Arab Mediterranean universities together. The ICTC at QOU is connected directly to this network in the UK. The Center provides its services to higher education institutions and scientific research institutions in Palestine.
- QOU established computer labs for the blind and visually impaired in five QOU branches (Jenin, Ramallah & Al-Bireh, Hebron, Nablus and Gaza). The purpose of these labs is to enable blind QOU students and people of the local community to engage in the education process by using special computers and devices.
- QOU Promotes the cyber culture in the Palestinian community through establishing ICDL training centers. The University cooperated with the national operator of this program to provide training accredited by the European Computer Drive License to give the students the opportunity to sit for international exams and obtain an internationally accredited certificate. The University also cooperated with Certiport Company to train more than 800 employees of QOU and other universities to acquire (IC3) certificate. The University participated in “The world Cup of Computers and Internet” and the world championship in Microsoft word and excel in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The Palestinian team represented by QOU team won the fourth rank in World Cup of Computers and Internet in 2008 and 2009. Four QOU employees won the Microsoft word and Microsoft excel championship in Palestine in 2008 and 2009. QOU also represented Palestine in the finals held in Hawai in 2008 and in Toronto in 2009 and was ranked second in the final competition of Microsoft word program.
- QOU, through ICTC, succeeded to list Palestine in the countries accredited by Microsoft Company, Oracle Company and Certiport Company. This opened the door to other Palestinian educational institutions to join these academies and institutions under the name of Palestine rather than through other countries such as Jordan, Dubai and others. The Center also obtained international licenses for internationally accredited training through its membership in international training and examinations centers such as Oracle, Microsoft Academy, Redhat, Prometric, Pearson VUE, TOEFL, Certiport and
- The ICTC implemented the needed techniques to operate the mobile educational center for improving education in marginalized areas in the south of Hebron and the Jordan Valley. The Mobile Educational Center included equipping two vans with computer labs to serve these marginalized areas.
- Organizing ICT annual day , which aims at enhancing the use of technology in the education process, enhancing cooperation between Palestinian and international institutions and transferring modern technology in the field of ICT to the Palestinian community.
- Launching QOU educational satellite channel, which is considered the latest educational tool for QOU in the field of e-learning. The channel aims at changing the stereotypes about the local media and focuses at broadcasting Palestinian heritage, social and cultural programs. It also seeks to present educational modern media that addresses various segments of the community, corresponds with the changing digital media environment, and keeps on track with the traditional media. Thus, QOU channel aspires to enhance the social culture in vital fields (health, education, environment, sport, energy, tourism and hostelry), and to enhance blended learning and highlight the social responsibility of the University and its graduates through shedding light on the role of the students and the role of women in the Palestinian community. It also aspires to enhance partnerships with Arab and International institutions and promote openness to other cultures.
- QOU is the first academic institution that acquired the International ISO 27001 certificate in the field of information security. This certificate is important in cyber security field and in protecting data based on international criteria in a way that guarantees transparency, cohesion and availability of services and data.
- Keeping all academic administrative and financial data of the University’s branches and offices (West bank, Jerusalem, Gaza Strip and Jordan) in one virtual environment at ICTC using the best technological tools in this field. ICTC also provides all required precautions (security, backup, performance monitoring, fire alarm, etc.) in addition to copies of all data in case of loss or damage of original data.